Sunday, July 19, 2009

Slap me five!


I was over by the Coast Guard Station in Monterey taking pictures of the sea lion pups. There were hundreds of them lying around like rebellious teenagers sleeping through the late morning.
I shot a picture of this sea lion pup scratching his nose. I was amazed! Inside what I call his fin there seemed to be fingers. The fin turned into a patent leather glove. On one finger, where a fingernail would be on a human being, was a nail that he was using to scratch his face.
Could it be that the fin is really an arm and hand that has been sculpted by evolution to serve a sea borne purpose. Or, maybe our arm and hand is a fin that has been shaped by evolution for land borne purposes. Somehow, I can't help but feel related to this creature. Tonight, when I hear them barking, I may open my window and try barking back to see if I can start up a conversation.

No comments: