Saturday, April 14, 2007

Continued Improvement

It's now almost three full weeks since my last radiation treatment. I needed to gain a few pounds and get my strength back in time for surgery in May. The last week has been great. Each day I think I have arrived back to normal only to find out that the next day is even better.

I have no symptoms of chemo or radiation at this point. I am eating normally. My radiation burn redness is almost gone on my back. I'm able to walk a couple of hours and I can feel my muscles again. I'm sleeping a full eight hours a day and I don't need any naps.

So, I feel like I'm ready for a CT Scan and meeting with the surgeon that is scheduled for Thursday. I should have my surgery schedule cleared within a day or so of that meeting. Surgery will probably be scheduled in May. It's hard to face surgery and a long recovery after just recovering. I want to just keep going without being brought down again. On the other hand, we have this cloud hanging over us that we want to get rid of and I'm happy to be doing well enough to get on with the process.

In many ways, I feel healthier than I have in years. I am 25 pounds lighter. That brought my blood pressure down to normal levels. I was living with untreated Atrial Fibrillation and some good diagnosis and medication has rid me of that. My heart rate is slower. I feel rested. I've had little stress of any sort for weeks. I've never felt more support and love from friends and family.

I feel blessed!

1 comment:

Jackie Old said...

Hi Bob,
Just got a chance to catch up on your progess. It's good to hear that you are feeling strong and getting physical & mentally prepared for the next challenge in your journey.
It's so very typical of you to share your journey with all of us, and I truly admire your openness and courage to do so. It's part of what makes you the remarkable human being that you are.
You pop into my head quite often, and when that happens, I send you positive thoughts and healing wishes!
Fondly,
Jackie