Friday, May 25, 2007

Friday Update

I was in to visit my father this afternoon for a while. My mom has come down with a mild cold and therefore is not supposed to visit this particular hospital floor. We hope that with some rest she will be back in action very soon; it is difficult for her not to be there, but we don't want my father (or anyone else on his floor, for that matter) to pick up a virus.

Dad was in good spirits, still not in pain, and had been up walking again this morning with the physical therapist. He reported that he'd been sitting up in his chair again for most of the morning! This is quite remarkable. While I was there, what we expected to be a quiet afternoon became much busier...Dad had volunteered to allow a 1st year med student to interview him; this was going to involve a case history and a brief physical exam. The young man expected he'd be with Dad for an hour. I thought that was quite generous of my father, but we would expect that, wouldn't we? While he was involved in that, an occupational therapist came in to do her evaluation and she was very pleased with his balance and coordination. My favorite part of that exam was when she said in front of him that it should go quickly because he was so "high-functioning". I noted that - at least most of the time - his family would agree. What a strange thing to say in front of someone, but I suppose those terms are used differently in my line of work.

The days are going by slowly for my father, but the television has been his best distraction. Unfortunately, when he tries to read novels or magazines, he falls asleep. He was excited to read all the blog posts and your comments that I left him with, however.

I'll be going back later this afternoon and will keep you posted!

2 comments:

Ravi Ravikumar said...

Thanks for sharing the updates. I had some strange reason to call Bob home on monday last week, only to hear about the surgery scheduled for wednesday. Needless to say, i asked what the surgery was about - it has been a while since we had spoken.

Glad to know Bob is up and about. I have no doubts he will set the record for the fastest turnaround. My best wishes to him for a speedy recovery. Pls say hello to Bob when you see him next.

Ravi

Charlotte Gordon said...

It's funny how, when you are planning your post-op time, you think how you will make the most of all that down-time. You prepare a hefty stack of books and magazines to take to the hospital -- good books, literature even, and yes, let's throw in some meaty magazines. You pack things you have been meaning to read, are eager to read, but have been too busy to get to till now. Ah, but now! Now you will have time on your hands, and won't it be good to catch up on all this fine reading.

Well fuhgeddaboutit! Bob at least is apparently sharp enough to enjoy watching TV. During my own recovery, I was astonished to find that staring at the beige wall in front of my bed could captivate me for an hour at a time, and was all the entertainment I really wanted.

Bob, we are so glad to read that you are up and getting around sooner than anyone expected. Keep on surprising those doctors! And don't rule out a nice blank wall as a way to pass the time...

Love and best wishes from Charlotte and Alan