Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Today is the day...


It's 5:00 am and I'm off to Stanford in a few minutes. My surgery is scheduled to begin at 7:30 this morning. The first team will take about 90 minutes to get the tumor out and the next team will take another 3-4 hours to tie my esophagus back to my stomach.
The plan is to send me from the recovery room to the C unit. It is unlikely that I will need to spend time in the ICU but that sometimes happens. The surgery team is great. My preoperation tests were great. I feel great.
I got a very short haircut yesterday. How short? Well, think David Letterman. The last time it was this short I was headed for Vietnam in 1965. I guess I have a thing about short hair as the right fashion statement for major challenges.
I probably won't be in condition to add to this blog over the next 5 days at least. Jordan will fill in.
Thanks so much for the outpouring of prayers and good wishes. You've bolstered my spirit and my faith.

3 comments:

Cara said...

I am thinking about you all and sending positive thoughts your way. I have so enjoyed reading your thoughts on this blog both personally (as Jordan's friend!) and professionally (as an oncology nurse!). You have an excellent attitude, and it will serve you well. It was also great to spend some time on Mother's Day with Jordan and your lovely wife. Hugs to all of you,

Cara

Susan Hopkins said...

Hi Bob, I have been thinking about you all week and especially today. I love the picture of the tree. It shows strength and light just like you. Rest easy and let your body start to heal. Love to you and Sharon. If you get this message three or four time it's because I'm having trouble sending it. Susan

Susan Hopkins said...

Bob, So glad to hear how well your surgery went. I hope they are able to manage your pain better. Don't be shy about asking for more meds. It's there to help you..go for it. Rest well, Susan