Sunday, February 25, 2007

Good Weekend!




I did better with side effects this week. My cold has run its course. I was able to work out on Friday and Saturday and almost felt normal most of the time. I have one more week of Cistplatin. I spent some time with Dr. Jones on Friday and have a better idea of what to expect from the next 15 sessions of radiation. So far, I don't feel any side effects from radiation. It's early. I will probably start to feel some discomfort in my esophagus in the next two weeks and have some difficulty with digestion and swallowing in my last week. She showed me the pictures that are produced with each session. They are amazing. They are radiating the small tumor on in my esophagus, but are also radiating an area about three inches around the tumor. In addition, they are radiating the lympnodes that are connected to that part of the esophagus.

++++

It was only 3 months ago that Sharon and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary. We have always tried to take time out for ourselves, but this was exceptional. We rented our favorite condo in Poipu, Kauai which is about 100 yards from the water. The sound of the surf is loud and the trade winds blow through the living area all day. We read, we walked, we shot pictures, we painted, and just celebrated a great marriage. We have actually been together for 44 years going all the way back to our senior year of high school.
It had been a difficult year because our parents had suffered some difficult health scares.
When we planned the trip, it was difficult to imagine that we would really be able to get away. By November, our parents had all recovered nicely. Everyone was finally feeling better and we were enjoying a moment of total relaxation without a care in the world. It was only 20 days later that we found out that I had cancer to deal with. I'm so grateful we had a moment of peace before all of this started. I think it helped us both get our attitude together more quickly.
Sharon and I have been through a lot of great times and some very difficult times in those 44 years. I can't even begin to describe the comfort that our shared experience brings me as I imagine the challenges of the next few months.
I feel more blessed than ever.






No comments: