Sunday, February 4, 2007

On Top of the World


We are leaving Pacific Grove today to head back to the Bay Area for a week of treatment. We've had 10 great days to relax and exercise. Yesterday, something my grandson, Baxter, said caught me up short. He was talking with Jordan, our daughter, and said, "I wonder if we are on the bottom of the world, right now, or on the top of the world like we usually are?" Baxter is six years old and still has the ability to see the world from a totally different point of view. I never really thought about that before. I thought about it for a bit. I tried out seeing myself on the bottom of the world. The map of the earth was upside down. My head was facing south. After some soul searching, I decided I was still on top of the world...maybe with a threatening cloud over my head. Clouds have been there before. They have gone away in time.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

Dad, I just came across this post on a site written by a woman whose son has autism. If you read to the end, you'll find musings about this same concept - being on the "bottom of the world". It's well written and relevant to your situation: http://www.gravitypullsyouin.com/?p=4