Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Good Progress!

I had my last radiation treatment on Monday. It wasn't really a tearful goodbye to the technicians, as nice as they are! I felt well enough to drive myself to the clinic. I went shopping for a few pairs of pants and shirts that fit. I dropped a couple of sizes and my old cloths are hanging off me. I don't want to buy too much because I'm not sure what weight I will be at the end of surgery and recovery. I suspect I will weigh less than I do now and that may be another size smaller.

On Monday, I also started a different medication to try to get my irregular hear beat under control. The fist medication we tried last week didn't work. Within an hour of taking the medication on Monday, my heart went into it's normal rhythm and seems to have stayed there. I'll confirm that with a cardiogram this morning. What a relief! I feel so much better just from that. My energy is coming back along with my appetite already. My esophagus still hurts when I eat or drink, but it is subsiding each day. I think I'm going to recover very quickly.

As I look back on the radiation and chemo treatments, I did very well. The asthma problem was unrelated. The heart rate problem was almost certainly related and unusual as a side effect. The expected side effects weren't that severe. The radiologist said that my treatment was very aggressive and that most cancer center's wouldn't even try doing that much.
I have a CT Scan on April 19th in the morning to confirm that there isn't any cancer anywhere. Then, I meet with the surgeon to schedule surgery in May.

I am particularly happy to have taken the most aggressive course of action when I hear the stories about the Elizabeth Edwards and Tony Snow. I realize that no matter how aggressive we have been, I will still have to get scans a few times a year for the rest of my life and every scan will be a drama. I can only hope that a constant reminder of my own mortality will keep me focused on what is important in a way that improves my life. I have seen that dynamic at play already. More on that later.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Bob: It's been a couple of weeks since I checked in on you but I think of you many times a week. I am so glad you are through this phase and certain that the ease of your experience is so related to your mind set. Truly you are an inspiration. Things at Xilinx are going very well but I must say there are many times when I wish I could ask your opinion. I met with Jane yesterday and we both agreed that you are at the top our list of exceptional favorite people.

Lots of love.
Barbara

Paul D said...

Bob

Paul D said...

Bob, keep "chopping wood." you have all the support from my family and me. let me know if there is anything we can do to help. regards, Paul