Thursday, June 14, 2007

Surgery plus 22 days

I met with my surgeon, Dr. Whyte, today and he was very pleased with my progress. I'll see him one more time in 4-6 weeks. The intern who came in to see me first said that this is one of the most difficult surgeries there is and went on to say that my body will continue to use up a lot of energy to heal.

I weighed in at the ideal weight for someone my height. That is what we expected would happen. I'm doing my best not to lose any more weight but it's difficult. I don't have much appetite and I get full really fast. The doctors insist that my appetite will return and I will be able to eat more at one sitting. I'm looking forward to that.

Sharon and I have been out to lunch a couple of times and I'm walking more. I'm able to talk for longer stretches each day. I'm not taking any pain killers. Life is beginning to return!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Bob: I know that just getting through all the chemo/radiation and finally the surgery gets all the attention, but in my experience the post op is in some ways more difficult. There is no event to rally around, few if any "defining moments". The adrenaline and focus associated with the big stretch goal is no longer called for. This is the part where you are mentally tested in new ways. It is the slow part. It is the waiting part. It is the frustrating part and sometimes it is the boring part. We are all still with you now just as in all the previous phases of your journey.

Sending a virtual hug (probably feels better than a real one right now)and my prayers,

Barbara

Susan Hopkins said...

Hi Bob, So glad you continue to improve. I can't believe you have already been out to lunch. Wow. I sure wish you were here teaching my photoshop class. The teacher goes so fast and gives no handouts. That means you are trying to take notes and work the computer at the same time. Many of the people take the class over and over....now I see why. I bought a book however that explains how to do things. I'll keep working on it. It is so amazing what a computer can do. I'm still having fun taking pictures. Well...tell Sharon hi. I'm so glad I met you two. Lucky me. Susan