Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Good News, Bad News

I talked with my surgeon today. He said that the MRI confirmed that there was no cancer in my pelvis. He also said that the T2 diagnosis was giving him second thoughts about surgery without radiation and chemo first. He suggested I see an oncologist and get more advice about the order in which to proceed. In the meantime, he is holding the possible surgery date of January 24.

++++
Dr. Whyte left a message yesterday on a voice mail saying that he wanted to give me the results of my MRI. I couldn't get back to him before he left. He was unreachable. Once again, I have to guess that it's bad news. I begin to have pain in my pelvis. How could I have missed it before. Sharon and I toss and turn all night in a panic about what this means. He would have said "no problem" in the voice mail if there was no problem...wouldn't he?
I finally caught up with Dr Whyte this morning and he quickly says that there was no cancer on the MRI. The suspicious area in my pelvis is just a little irritated, maybe from some arthritis. My pelvis area stops having symptoms. That's great news! What isn't so great is that the T2 diagnosis on the cancer may mean that I should have radiation and chemo before the surgery. He suggested an oncologist and will set up an appointment tomorrow. I am working with a client today and was scheduled to work tomorrow. The client is wonderful about postponing my work for another two days until I can get back.

1 comment:

Kevin Woodson said...

Dear Bob,
As hard as it is to see you go through this, the way you've opened your life and shared your daily challenges and courage is so affirmative of life. Your call to meditation and prayer is a blessing, and try as I might, I couldn't possibly NOT think about you during my most creative and personal moments, painting, writing, and of course, helping any group define its vision.