Wednesday, January 24, 2007

More Preparation and good news!

I did another CT scan this morning. This time they gave me a shot of iodine first. I was in and out in 15 minutes. The preliminary look by my radiologist was good news. Once again, there is no sign of this cancer spreading. Tomorrow I will be working with the radiologist to develop the radiation plan. It looks like we won't actually start radiation and chemo until a week from Monday


++++
The clinic wing at Stanford Medical Center has a life of its own. About half the civilians that pour in and out all day are very ill. Many are bald or covering baldness with a cap that hides the effects of chemo and radiation. Many are doubled over in pain and wearing IV's. Behind glass cubicles are receptionists and record keepers who do the best they can with a health system that is clearly out of control. There are several doctors who are the rock stars of their fields. They are followed by endearing groupies in white coats. When the doctor stops, the groupies stop. When the doctor looks right, they look right. When the doctor puts his pen to his lips in pensive thought, they do the same. Then the groupies take notes on the last 60 seconds. There are three or four of these gaggles of white geese scurrying in all directions.
There is a language with it's own jargon and codes that I'm beginning to pick up. The diagnosis that drives staging begins with the letter "T" which stands for tumor. It's followed by the layer of tissue that has been penetrated. For me that is the second layer. So the "T" is followed by a "2". That was confirmed by an ultrasound endoscopy that was ordered after the normal endoscopy discovered and removed a piece of the tumor of biopsy. After the "T2 comes the letter "N" for nodule. We want to know if the cancer has spread to nearby lymph nodes. In my case, the CT PET scan and a second CT with contrast dye that I did today show no signs of cancer spreading anywhere else. I get a "0". That's the first "0" score on a test that I have ever celebrated. So, the designation T2N0 is not too bad. Then, there is an "M". That stands for "metastasized". This is the famous "M" word meaning that the cancer is spreading around your body to other orders through bone marrow. This may be the most feared word in the English language. I get another "0" and chance to celebrate. When the medical profession refers to my situation as T2N0M0, they know what is happening immediately. The first thing that each person asks, is "How did you happen to find the cancer in that stage?" I tell the story again, and they take notes. They are trying to figure out how to help other people catch this in the early stages. Some protocol is being reinforced by this story.

2 comments:

Bob Sadler Sr said...

What an uncomfortable spot to put you into! Anxiety is the least you might expect. Just remember - you have only so much strength and energy available to you - be sure to apportion it wisely - feed the positives and to hell with the negatives - your body will appreciate the help. Again - we are all behind you!

Dad

LBgulf said...

Bob,

This is Larry Baldwin from Alabama.

I read your posts and can see the resolve you have to win this war and believe me it is a war. I'm here to encourage you and remind you that you are in our prayers. It sounds as if you have great doctors and support around you. God bless and protect all those who will be assigned to your case and obviously provide healing to you and your family.

I'm going to talk with my daughter Leslie, a ten year and two month survivor of brain cancer, of any other potential survivor support groups that may be of assistance to you. Leslie is a quiet young woman and does not talk much about her war with cancer but when she does I listen and so do others. She is a testimony to many people who are going through the same disease that she went through. She is God's blessing to Marilyn and me as well as others. I'll let you know what she says.

I'll leave you with this Bob. After my heart surgery in 1995, I developed this mantra - "Keep digging Larry, keep digging." When Leslie was diagnosed a year later we added this part "One day at a time - one day at a time." That perspective keeps your focus on thriving not just surviving.

Have a blessed day and I will stay in touch.

Larry, Marilyn, and Leslie Baldwin
Psalm 34:4; Proverbs 29:11