Thursday, January 25, 2007

Ready to Radiate!


I completed planning and targeting for radiation treatments today. My first session is scheduled for February 5. I expect to start chemotherapy the same day. I will need to have radiation every weekday for 5.5 weeks. I will spend one of those days, probably every Monday, getting an infusion of chemotherapy as well and then take tablets on the other days. The chemo will involve two drugs. One is Capecitabine which is in tablet form and taken daily. The side effects are not expected to be too bad from this drug. The second is more problematic. It's called Cisplatin. This has a lot of potential side affects in full dose, but I'm getting much less than a full dose. So, we don't know how much side affect I will get. It may not be very difficult, but, then again, it could be...especially as it builds up over the weeks. It may take as much as 6 weeks following radiation and chemo to be fit enough for surgery, so we are planning surgery in early May.


++++

I laid down of a newly mixed back of chemicals. In a matter of minutes, the bag rose up around my sides and made a mold of my body. Then, with me in the mold, the therapist did some CT scans to locate all my organs. Then, I swallowed a dose of barium. I had heard a lot of bad things about having to swallow barium and didn't look forward to it. Dreaded it, in fact. It wasn't bad at all! That's good, because I think I'm going to have to swallow a lot of it before this treatment is done. The therapist will plan to do radiation from a different direction on my body each day with the beam passing through my tumor. The only place in my body that will continue to get bombarded each day is the tumor. The rest of my body will get some radiation, but not enough to do damage. In order to insure that I will be in the same position for radiation each day, I will position myself in the mold and get lined up on three laser beams which will fall on three spots that were tattooed on my body. Don't get excited! It wasn't a fancy tattoo! Basically, these three tattoos are pencil points. My first session is set for a week from Monday. I'd like to get started sooner, and thought we would, but it take some time for the therapist to determine the plan and program the machines.

2 comments:

Fiona Henderson said...

Bob, I just want to let you know that I have found the odyssey that you describe completely riveting and compelling. If it didn't concern people that I hold dear, it would feel even better..but your art in describing these events and feelings with such clarity and simplicity I have found quite overwhelming.
A bit like one of your photography classmates, I feel a little embarrassed commenting, as I am not part of your close circle, but nonetheless am urged to pass on my appreciation.
I wish you, Sharon and your family such warmth and strength to keep you going - like you're keeping us going. I feel inspired. Thank you
Fiona - London

Unknown said...

Bob, I admire your strength as you take on this journey. I wish you and your dear family all the love, strength and energy!
I send you a prayer on this Sunday morning.
Thank you for BEING!
Diana
San Francisco